As an Intern, you'll join the team, for their university work placement, learning how to rapidly and effectively design and deliver great software in an Agile environment that adds real value to our customers. You'll work with and learn from our best tech talent, being coached, challenged and mentored as you progress!
The Liberty IT software engineering internship is a collaborative experience within our core development teams that designs, codes, tests and maintains a range of platforms and services for our Fortune 100 parent company, Liberty Mutual.
Northern Ireland: intern roles
Our Northern Ireland intern roles are now closed and will reopen again in autumn 2024. Good luck to everyone who applied this year!
Galway: intern roles
Our intern roles in Galway are now closed and will reopen again in autumn 2024. Good luck to everyone who applied this year!
What do I need to know?
You’ll learn the fundamentals of enterprise engineering, sharpen your programming skills and gain first-hand experience of what a career at Liberty IT looks like.
At Liberty, we embrace continuous learning and support our Intern Software Engineers with our TechStart learning programme, which consists of both technical training and professional skills training. The first 8 weeks of this programme are focused on technical development. You’ll gain experience attending networking days concentrating on communication, teamwork and developing your professional brand.
You’ll meet with your fellow interns to share what projects you have been working on, build rapport and share how you are putting your learning into practice. This is an opportunity to learn the best engineering practices, sharpen your programming skills and gain first-hand experience of what a career at Liberty IT looks like!
Collaboration and networking
Throughout your internship, you’ll take on projects targeted for production, which go through our full lifecycle process for development, testing and release in an Agile environment. You’ll be working side by side with and learning from our experienced software engineers, and through our Buddy Scheme, you’ll receive ongoing feedback and coaching from a dedicated mentor throughout the year.
Through our Social Club and other company initiatives, you’ll also can connect with and have fun with your new colleagues outside of the working day.
What will you be doing?
- Be part of a team who work to solve complex business problems by delivering high-quality software that provides an outstanding experience for our customers.
- Write clean code in line with the team’s set standards.
- Own, scope and deliver well-defined tasks or stories. Communicate and update your progress regularly at stand-ups or similar agile events.
- Collaborate closely and cooperatively with your technical and non-technical teams to work towards the best solution that maximises value to the customer.
- Grow your knowledge of architecture, modern engineering principles and design patterns.
What experience and skills do we need?
- Currently studying in your 2nd year of a degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science, or an IT-related discipline.
- Be available to undertake a 12-month placement if based in the UK beginning in Summer 2024 and a 6-month placement if based in the Republic of Ireland beginning in January 2024.
- Evidence of good first-year grades.
- A proven ability to deliver working code.
What’s on offer?
- An 8-week learning programme in partnership with Instil covering a variety of topics such as Agile thinking, Engineering Practices and AWS.
- Enjoy both today and tomorrow with employee discount schemes, annual bonuses and a competitive pension.
- Protect your wellbeing with flexible working and a real work-life balance. Specifically, we have adopted a hybrid remote and in-office working culture, meaning you have ultimate flexibility in your work environment.
- Grow yourself, your career and your reputation through continuous learning, promotion opportunities and our generous recognition programme.
When do intern roles start?
We've start dates available in January 2024 (in the Republic of Ireland) and Summer (in the UK) 2024 – these align with university term times.
What percentage of interns are accepted into graduate positions?
93% of Interns from the 2022 intake have been offered a position at Liberty IT as an Associate Software Engineer.
At the end of their placement year, Intern software engineers are invited to apply and submit a portfolio of work for graduate positions before returning to university to complete their final year.
What year of university do I need to be in to apply for an Intern position?
Intern software engineers work for us in the third year of their degree.
You'll be invited to apply for these positions in September of the second year of your degree. These positions are distributed via our partner universities and third-level educational institutions.